Sirley Marques Bonham, Ph.D., is a physicist by education, but due to her long-time involvement with the subject of consciousness, she also considers herself somewhat of a neuroscientist.
Dr. Bonham was born in Brazil and first came to the US in 1986 to follow post-doctoral research with the Astrophysics Group at the University of Chicago and the corresponding NASA-financed group at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Batavia, Illinois, near Chicago. Her main scientific work was done as an extension of Einstein’s unified field theory. Besides this specific area, she has done research in theoretical nuclear physics at the University of Pretoria, South Africa, as well as worked as a biophysicist for the US Air Force in San Antonio, Texas, specifically on the effects of electromagnetic radiation on human tissue. She has also taught at universities in Brazil, South Africa, and the United States.
Bonham’s involvement with the phenomenon of consciousness, as viewed by neuroscience, started in 1992 through a group of scientists at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio and was followed by brief work with a research group in neuroscience at the University of Texas at Austin, specifically in the processes of memory and learning. Though she has learned about the paranormal through her father’s interest in this area, it has been her practice to approach the subject strongly-rooted in a scientific perspective. This practice has influenced her personal self-experimentation with the phenomenon of awareness during sleep, represented by the modern approach to the so-called out-of-body experiences, and recently developed techniques of lucid dreaming.
Bonham came to live in Austin, Texas, in 1993. She is presently a research scientist with the Center for Relativity at the University of Texas at Austin and a member and advisor of the Institute for Neurosciences and Consciousness Studies (INACS).
Presentations for INACS
- Consciousness and Hypnagogia, by Sirley Marques Bonham. Dream imageries, reveries, and the development of a relationship with the “unconscious” mind (2007). (PDF)
- Beyond Hypnagogia, by Sirley Marques Bonham. Using introspective experiences (Hypnagogia) to develop skills like remote-viewing, lucid-reaming and OBEs, or for the development of “spiritual experiences” (2010). (PDF)
- Beyond Hypnagogia, by Sirley Marquest Bonham. Podcast (MP3)
Articles on Experiences of Consciousness
- Lucid-Dreaming and Out-of-body Experience: My personal experience with self-awareness while dreaming, and the sleep/awakening onset: A training technique, related phenomena, and more, by Sirley Marques Bonham. Formerly published at The Conscious Dreamer website (1996), now offline. (PDF)
- Kundalini Manifestations, Lucid Dreaming, and Out-of-Body Experiences, by Sirley Marques Bonham. Published by Rever Magazine (June-July, 1997) and also posted at the The Conscious Dreamer website (1997), now offline. (PDF)
- Does Recurrent Isolated Sleep Paralysis Involve More than Cognitive Neurosciences? By Jean-Christophe Terrillon and Sirley Marques Bonham. Published by the Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 97-123, 2001. (PDF)
- Consciousness and Hypnagogia: Dream imageries, reveries, and the development of a relationship with the “unconscious” mind, by Sirley Marques Bonham. An article written to go along with the talk by the same title (2007) (see above). This article has also been published in 2007 on The World of Lucid-Dreaming website at http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/consciousness-and-hypnagogia.html. (PDF)
- Playing with Lights in My Lucid Dreams and Out-of-Body Experiences, by Sirley Marques Bonham. A shorter version of this article was published in Lucid Dreaming Exchange, Vol. 1., No. 4, March 2013. (PDF)