Out-of-Body Experience and the Brain
Presentation by Robert Peterson
Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 6:30–9 p.m.
Austin Center for Spiritual Living (map)
$5–10 non-member donation appreciated
Join us at www.inacs.org/membership!
We are pleased to welcome author Robert “Bob” Peterson for a sequel to his presentation on Lucid Dreaming and OBE last year. This talk will be about out-of-body experiences and the brain. Topics covered will include:
- Sleep cycles and how they affect OBEs
- The brain’s default mode network (DMN) with regard to OBEs
- Brain chemicals such as DHEA and melatonin, and their relationship to OBEs
- Scientific findings regarding OBEs and the parts of the brain, such as the pineal gland, angular gyrus, temporoparietal junction (TPJ) and the auditory cortex
- Scientific brain research on OBEs such as Olaf Blanke and Michael Persinger
- Brain blood flow and how it relates to OBEs
- How the foregoing relate to OBE assisting sounds like Hemi-Sync®, Spatial Angle Modulation™ (SAM), and binaural beats
- How they relate to OBE energy exercises (like Kundalini or the IAC’s VELO)
About Robert Peterson
Robert “Bob” Peterson has been studying and inducing out-of-body and psychic experiences since graduating from high school in 1979. While attending the University of Minnesota Institute of Technology, where he earned a B.S. in computer science, he became more proficient at out-of-body exploration and kept detailed journals of his experiences. At the same time, he did volunteer work for a student-based organization called the Minnesota Society for Parapsychological Research (MSPR), which gave him experience as a “Ghost Buster” before the movie made the subject popular.
Since college, Peterson has had a very successful career in systems level computer programming. In 1987, while working as a contract programmer at the IBM plant in Rochester, Minnesota, he compiled his experiences and journals into his first book, Out of Body Experiences: How to have them and what to expect (Hampton Roads Publishing, 1997), which has been available online for free since 1996. His second book, Lessons Out of the Body: A Journal of Spiritual Growth and Out-of-Body Travel, was published in 2001. Recent work includes The Gospel According to Mike (2011), a novel, and Answers Within: How to use your inner voice for wisdom, spirituality and psychic awareness (2012). Peterson currently lives near Brainerd, Minnesota, with his wife and soulmate, Kathy, and is visiting Austin for the winter.